As part of the celebrations of the OED’s 90th birthday (https://public.oed.com/oed90th/), we will be having a live session around how to make the most of the Oxford English Dictionary in the classroom.
Fiona McPherson, Senior Editor – OED New Words at Oxford University Press, will be speaking about exploring the OED to make full use of its resources for research and teaching.
She will take us on a virtual tour of the OED, and show us how to unlock the potential of the historical and linguistic data in the dictionary’s entries.
She will also be providing an overview of some of the OED teaching resources available.
This session will cover:
• A virtual tour of the OED
• Navigating an entry to get historical data, with examples
• Using features such as timelines, advanced search, and the Historical Thesaurus to uncover the hidden riches of the OED
• An overview of the OED’s teaching resources, and ideas for how to use them in the classroom
• Q&A session – bring your questions or send them to Katherine in advance: firstname.lastname@example.org
Who is this session for?
Anyone who is interested in…
• Knowing more about what the OED has to offer
• Using the OED as a teaching resource
• Lexicography and historical data in the OED